buildr-users mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: is buildr still active?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:40:09 GMT
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Ittay Dror <ittayd@tikalk.com> wrote:

> Assaf Arkin wrote:
>
>  Specs really really help. A patch could look simple and trivial, maybe
>> it's
>> a one line fix, but writing the spec and then accepting the patch is more
>> work than accepting a tested patch.
>>
>> If you can't figure out how to fix something, but can at least write a
>> spec
>> to prove it's broken, that's also enormously helpful. The fix may end up
>> be trivial to someone else, just by running the spec and looking at the
>> stack trace.
>>
>> So spec as much as possible.
>>

> I find the current way of submitting patches / specs to be unproductive.
> It's hard for people to comment on a patch: you see an email about a patch,
> need to open the issue in the browser, download the patch, read, and then
> the only way to comment is writing an out-of-line comment in jira. and of
> course people follow jira notices far less than the "regular" mailing lists.
>  Also, there are no clear coding conventions to follow. Finally, I don't
> remember seeing someone's patch being accepted.

I wonder how other people feel about it. I'd like to explore using Github to
review patches before submitting them through JIRA. You still need to have a
JIRA issue open, to track the issue, but review/commenting can be done
directly on the source. Possibly even pulling changes directly from a Git
repository, if you have a CLA.

We have about 14,000 lines of code in lib, additional 12,000 in spec, that's
a lot of convention. If you see something being used repeatedly, copy it. If
you see something inconsistent, fix it. If there's no precedence, I borrow
from Rails, RSpec, Rake in that order.

Assaf