buildr-users mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: suggestions for separating unit vs. integration tests
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 01:05:40 GMT
2009/2/6 Shane Witbeck <shane@digitalsanctum.com>

> All,
>
> I've been trying to determine the best way to run unit tests vs.
> integration
> tests. It seems you only have the option of marking a project/component
> containing integration tests or not containing integration tests. Some of
> my
> projects have both unit and integration tests but I'd like to be able to
> control which get run. I'm aware of test=no and test.using :integration.
> The
> only option I can think of is creating a specific project just for the
> integration tests but I'd like to keep all the tests for a specific project
> together.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, I'd like to suggest a new feature to have
> explicit, finer grained control over running tests. Perhaps something along
> the lines of splitting the directory structure for tests:
>
> src/test/unit
> src/test/integration
>
> Could someone confirm my findings and/or suggest an alternative solution?

If you can figure out how to support two different test frameworks in the
same project (say JUnit and TestNG), then you're most of the way to having
unit tests and integration tests in the same project. I'm making this
parallel because I think two frameworks is easy to grasp for more people,
and also a lot more people interested in a feature that can do both.

Assaf