buildr-users mailing list archives

From Ittay Dror <itt...@tikalk.com>
Subject Re: is buildr still active?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:32:38 GMT

Assaf Arkin wrote:

> Specs really really help. A patch could look simple and trivial, maybe it's
> a one line fix, but writing the spec and then accepting the patch is more
> work than accepting a tested patch.
>
> If you can't figure out how to fix something, but can at least write a spec
> to prove it's broken, that's also enormously helpful. The fix may end up to
> be trivial to someone else, just by running the spec and looking at the
> stack trace.
>
> So spec as much as possible.

I find the current way of submitting patches / specs to be unproductive.
It's hard for people to comment on a patch: you see an email about a
patch, need to open the issue in the browser, download the patch, read,
and then the only way to comment is writing an out-of-line comment in
jira. and of course people follow jira notices far less than the
"regular" mailing lists.  Also, there are no clear coding conventions to
follow. Finally, I don't remember seeing someone's patch being accepted.

Ittay

--
Tikal <http://www.tikalk.com>
Tikal Project <http://tikal.sourceforge.net>