buildr-users mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Welcome to Rebase Hell!
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:57:11 GMT
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Please note, that I am fan of github. I'd wish Apache would have the
> same infrastructure as github. It would give the ASF Community a real
> sparkle: the social aspects of github are really nice.

I think Apache should stay out of the infrastructure business altogether.
They should provide only the bare minimum that is necessary to follow the
Apache Way. They do it with email, they give you an address but no email
client; mailing lists are hosted by Apache, but many people use far better
archives to access them (nibble, markmail, etc); projects can run their own
build or CI servers, etc. Same with source control: they should host the
licensed and reviewed contributions repositories, and let people figure out
the UI on their own. Then we could use a hosted service like Github, which
is not something Apache can provide, and the infrastructure pain for Apache
will drop, since very few people will be hammering their Git repo (mostly
committers and CI).

Assaf