buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <alex.boisv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Buildr or Gradle?
Date Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:21:15 GMT
I haven't taken a serious look at Gaddle's design, but if we take out
individual features (which may evolve differently on both sides), I would
think the main deciding factor is your desire to work with either Ruby or
Groovy.

On bigger projects, it's likely that you'll either want to extend the build
tool or find issues (bugs or otherwise) and at that point, your comfort
level with the language itself becomes quite important if you need to dig
into the source or debug what's happening.

One particular thing I enjoy about Ruby is the "Ruby is Unix" mentality
where you can (more) easily interface with other native *nix tools, use
fork() and such.  If your approach is more towards abstracting away the
operating system, and/or if all your libraries and tools are JVM-based, then
this aspect may not carry as much weight.  (Example:  Buildr calls 'svn' or
'git' directly instead of using equivalent Java libraries)

alex