buildr-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Moore <rp.andrew.mo...@gmail.com>
Subject Task name which called a method
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:58:58 GMT

Hi,

I'm a ruby newbie, and I've been using BuildR off and on for a bit
(currently 1.3.3), but I was wondering if there is a way to access the name
of a task that calls a method without passing an argument to that method.
For instance:

def print_task_name()
  # print the name of the task that called this function
  puts '['+taskName+']'
end

desc 'my-project'
define 'my-project'

  desc 'taskA'
  task 'taskA' do
    print_task_name
  end

  desc 'taskB'
  task 'taskB'
    print_task_name
  end

end #my-project

My goal is that if I run:

buildr my-project:taskA

that the print_task_name method will print:

[my-project:taskA]

I've been searching through the various Rake, Buildr, and Ruby API's and the
closest I've come is the core ruby 'caller' method. I've spent enough time
trying to figure it out that it's time to ask the experts!

Is what I'm wanting to do possible without adding an argument to the
print_task_name method?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Andrew