buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <alex.boisv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Downloading dependencies without POMs
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:34:40 GMT
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ed Beaty <ebeaty@eragen.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I'm considering using buildr as an ant replacement.  We want to use
> our local repository to store our jars, but we've never created POM's for
> any of them (nor do we want to).  When I try to retrieve an artifact:
>
> repositories.remote << '<my repository>'
> artifact('lib:apache-ant:ant:1.7.0').install
>
> it fails with:
>
> Failed to download lib:apache-ant:pom:1.7.0, tried the following
> repositories:
> <my repository>
> <my buildfile>:2
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/buildr-1.3.5/lib/buildr/core/application.rb:398:in
> `raw_load_buildfile'
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/buildr-1.3.5/lib/buildr/core/application.rb:218:in
> `load_buildfile'
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/buildr-1.3.5/lib/buildr/core/application.rb:213:in
> `load_buildfile'
>
> Is there a way to convince buildr not to download POM's?  This seems like
> it would be a useful option for people who aren't migrating from Maven to
> buildr.

Hi Ed,

Buildr doesn't require POMs and won't fail if one isn't available.

However, Buildr does assume Maven2 artifact specification
("group:artifact_id:type:version") and repository layout
($REPOSITORY/group/artifact/artifact-version.type) for artifacts specified
using artifact(...).

If you don't use Maven2 conventions for artifacts, your choices are:

1) using artifact(...).from(...) as Carl-Gustaf suggested to override the
location (you will end up with M2 artifacts in your local repository)

2) not using artifact(...) at all, downloading and referring to local files
directly.

3) rolling out your own version of artifact() that conforms to your way of
handling artifacts.

The Ivy plugin is a good example of #3 where all artifact management is
delegated to Ivy (resolution, downloading, etc.)

alex