buildr-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tentative Outline for Profict Presentation
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:14:32 GMT
Here's a revised outline.  I finished the time estimates and realized I was
more than an hour over-budget.  :-)  I still need to cut some things, but
this is much more focused than the old one:

Daniel

=======================================
Profict Spring Camp 2009 Buildr Outline
=======================================

One thing I'm not covering here is sub-projects.  I'd like to, but they
don't
seem to fit anywhere.

Session One
===========

I intend to make the do one super-point (**What is Apache Buildr**) using
"traditional" slides, but everything else will be very hands-on.

* |5m| What is Apache Buildr?

  * Maven 2 as it should have been
  * Clean, declarative internal DSL
  * Dead-easy customization

    * Minimal kernel; *everything* is an extension
    * Custom tasks
    * Custom build structure

  * Speed (you don't realize how *slow* Maven 2 is until you've tried
Buildr)

* |5m| Installing Buildr

  * ``gem install buildr`` (we'll be using MRI for the hands-on)
  * New in 1.4: All-in-One Buildr (untar and go)

* |25m| First steps

  * |5m| Setting up the project
  * |10m| Adding dependencies (introduce ``artifacts``)

    * |5m| Direct (commons-cli)
    * |5m| Transitive (wicket)

  * |5m| Packaging

    * ``:jar``
    * ``:war``

  * |2m| Javadoc (using the ``doc``) task
  * |3m| IDE Metadata

* |10m| Transition from Ant

  * Demonstrate custom directory structure

* |5m| Transition from Maven

  * *Almost* drop-in replacement

Session Two
===========

* |10m| Testing

  * |5m| JUnit
  * |3m| TestNG
  * |2m| Cobertura

* |5m| Continuous compilation
* |7m| Interactive Shell

  * IRB
  * Clojure REPL
  * Scala
  * JRebel

    * Demo with ``cc`` (just because it's cool)

* |15m| Scala/Groovy support

  * |5m| Zero-step configuration
  * |3m| Joint compilation
  * |5m| Testing (Specs + ScalaCheck)

* |15m| Custom tasks

  * |10m| Generating documentation (ReST => PDF)
  * |5m| A ``run`` task

    * ``local_task``

* |5m| Conclusion