buildr-users mailing list archives

From Chiaming Hsu <camy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Intellij Plugin to provide clear view of buildfile
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 02:01:59 GMT
The 'desc', 'define', and other similar terms are method names, not language
keywords.

When you run builds, buildr loads itself first, which define these special
methods.  And then the buildfile calls these special methods to define project
structure.

For example:
desc 'a sample project'
is calling a method named desc with a string argument 'a sample project'

define 'killer-app' do
end
is calling a method named define with a string argument 'killer-app' and a block
doing something more.

This is Ruby meta-programming magic...

Cheers,
Chiaming Hsu

----- Original Message ----
From: Mark Petrovic <mspetrovic@gmail.com>
To: users@buildr.apache.org
Sent: Tue, September 7, 2010 6:39:52 PM
Subject: Re: Intellij Plugin to provide clear view of buildfile

I actually started down the path of writing such an IJ plugin, but found while
reading the docs that I had to provide an extension for the file, as you found
with NB.  I suspect there is a way around this, as when I actually
double-clicked my buildfile, IJ prompted me to bind it to a language, which I
did (Ruby).  And now I get all the supported-language goodness when I edit the
buildfile in IJ.

The plugin development documentation for a given IDE can be somewhat sketchy and
rather decentralized.  I may have missed something.

Sorry to subject you to this, but if the buildfile is Ruby, how do the 'desc'
and 'define' keywords fit into this?

--
Mark Petrovic