buildr-users mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Questions on howto build a new Buildr plugin
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 00:37:05 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Niklaus Giger
<niklaus.giger@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> I am trying to create a Buildr plugin for creating IzPack installers.
>
> I tried to follow the schema outlined at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BUILDR/Setting+up+a+development+environment+for+Buildr+plugin
> and stumbled over the following problems:

ooer - I had not seen that before.

> a) I think instead of using braid it would make more sense to use git
> submodules, which would allow an easy upgrade path to an up-to-date Buildr
> version

I haven't looked at this example directly but I find braid as a much
much better solution for keeping things up to date. I also find it
quite easy to switch between versions.  i.e. keeping it uptodate is
simply "braid update buildr"

> and would not pollute a new (probably quite small) plugin with all the
> buildr stuff.

Thats an unfortunate effect - I agree. IIRC braid is setup to use a
squash strategy when mergin in the other tree which lessens the impact
to some degree.

One of the big negatives of braid is that it did not work well on
windows without a few local hacks.

> Therefore I would propose to replace there the lines about using braid with
> somethink like this:
>> git clone git://github.com/apache/buildr.git  buildr
>> # If you want to switch to specific tag/branch use
>> cd buildr && git checkout  --force 1.4.6 && cd ..
>> git submodule add ~/git/buildr buildr
>>
>> Using git submodules is documented under:
>> http://book.git-scm.com/5_submodules.html

I would maybe both of them as options and outline the various
strengths/weaknesses of both approaches. I would still tend to use
braid but each to their own ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald