buildr-users mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: buildr very slow on my jenkins
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2015 04:32:00 GMT
Hi,

The ruby installation and environment is probably the biggest impact
on the speed of buildr. So are you using rbenv, rvm or some other ruby
version manager? What version of ruby are you using?

Do you use bundler/Gemfiles to declare buildr and dependencies? We
tend to run each test in an isolated environment specified by a
Gemfile and rbenv. So our build tasks looks something like

   rbenv exec bundle exec buildr clean package

Ugly but the easiest way to partially isolate the builds. (We also use
a non-system gems dir to avoid cross-build dependency pollution).

We have found jruby to be the absolute slowest ruby implementation,
particularly if you are using the system gems directory and have a lot
of dependencies installed in there. This is why we initially moved to
using a non-system directory and bundler . Our "fast" builds all run
ruby 2.1.3, the latest buildr and a jdk 7.x.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald