bval-dev mailing list archives

From Albert Lee <allee8...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request to create a branch of 0.4-incubating as a maintenance release.
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 15:35:37 GMT
Matt,

Thanks for your quick initial thought on this matter.

In OpenJPA (see http://openjpa.apache.org/release-management.html),
interested parties are permitted to create a branch for specialization and
managed by an assigned release manager. This allows:

* all improvements in all branches transparent to the community
* easy recreation of any branches in place, since all the repositories.
infrastructure are readily available for build and experimentation
* interested parties to use and extract specialized branches for open usage.

I can understand your POV not getting the repository proliferate
uncontrollably complex, that's the reason I would like to get agreement (or
permission) to have the branch created.  The storage space for each
additional branch for BVal is very minimum, and "justifies" the advantages
this approach would bring to the community. OpenJPA has used this process
since its inception and has been working out very nicely for multiple
parties.

Thanks again for your considerations.

Albert Lee.

--