calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <julianh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kylin
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2014 21:36:55 GMT
Thanks for bringing this up, Dan. I’ve been talking to Kylin’s architects Luke Han and
Xu Jiang for a few months, and have seen demos of it in action. It is impressive.

Kylin is using Calcite/Optiq not just for parsing, but also for optimization. They have written
quite a few RelNodes and rules targeted at their execution environment, which is cubes stored
in HBase. Obviously Calcite does not have data storage, but in terms of query preparation
and optimization, there is considerable overlap with the lattice feature I’ve added to Calcite
over the last few months. (I will be demoing lattices at Strata in NY next week… more about
those soon.)

The Kylin developers are aware of the overlaps and they want to work more closely with Calcite.

I believe that they are considering the project for Apache incubation. If so, that would be
great news. Kylin is an impressive project that fills an important need.

Julian