calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Chen <tnac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kylin
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 05:13:41 GMT
On this note, I wonder is there going to be a Apache calcite meetup? :)

Tim

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Julian Hyde <julianhyde@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yang,
>
> Welcome to the list!
>
> Don't worry if you don't have time to fix everything. I know how it is to be facing deadlines.
Log jira cases for the bugs & missing features you see. If you don't have chance to fix
them, maybe someone else will.

> Don't be afraid to post questions or observations to this list, or start discussions.
Since we don't all work in the same location, this is our only medium to get to know each
other better, and take the project in the direction that serves all of our needs.

> Julian
>
> On Oct 12, 2014, at 11:42 PM, Li, Yang <yangli9@ebay.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey, Kylin developer here!  Say hi to everyone.  :D
>>
>> In addition to query preparation and optimization, we also leverage Calcite to execute
query, run the generated source code and produce results. Currently we are on optiq 0.8 and
moving to a stable calcite release will be a big next step.

>> Going forward, we like to contribute back to calcite too. There were a few chances,
small bugs fixes etc, but tight internal schedule didn't give those a priority. Now that Kylin
has gone open source, we will have more time to collaborate with big world, especially the
great calcite project.

>> Looking forward to work with you guys!
>>
>> Yang

Han and Xu Jiang for a few months, and have seen demos of it in action. It is impressive.

>> Kylin is using Calcite/Optiq not just for parsing, but also for optimization. They
have written quite a few RelNodes and rules targeted at their execution environment, which
is cubes stored in HBase. Obviously Calcite does not have data storage, but in terms of query
preparation and optimization, there is considerable overlap with the lattice feature I’ve
added to Calcite over the last few months. (I will be demoing lattices at Strata in NY next
week… more about those soon.)

>> The Kylin developers are aware of the overlaps and they want to work more closely
with Calcite.

>> I believe that they are considering the project for Apache incubation. If so, that
would be great news. Kylin is an impressive project that fills an important need.