calcite-dev mailing list archives

From "Colagiovanni, Lawrence" <lcolagiova...@ebay.com>
Subject Re: Calcite documentation
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 20:28:51 GMT
It'd be awesome if you can make this happen. It sounds like the product could really benefit
from it, and I know it's an area you're passionate about.

> On Mar 13, 2015, at 13:09, Hartman, Trevor <thartman@ebay.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to gauge interest from community members in writing documentation for Calcite.
If people are willing to write docs for topics they understand well, I would be willing to
help drive that process (collect docs, make sure they're complete, present them cohesively,
publish them).

> I realize the code is well-documented at the package/class/method level, and while that
is great for reference, it's not ideal for understanding big-picture concepts and how subsystems
work together.

> I've been working with Calcite for nearly 6 months and feel like I've barely scratched
the surface in terms of understanding. I think some well-written docs would encourage new
users to learn Calcite as well as help existing users take advantage of all Calcite has to
offer, which in turn encourages people to blog about it, speak about it, etc.

> Suggestions for topics I'm interested in include:
>
> - Overview of Calcite
> - Conventions (enumerable, bindable, custom), traits
> - Evaluating expression trees
> - Pushing down operations, manipulating the relational expression tree
>
> Of course there are may other areas to document that I'm not even aware of, and I'd be
looking to you to help define that.

GitHub, but http://calcite.incubator.apache.org might be the more appropriate location.

> I looked through jira to see if this work is already being tracked. Nothing comprehensive,
but here are some related issues: