calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Test class and package name conventions
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:24:31 GMT
Heya,

Do we have any guidelines for test names or locations? I'm seeing a
hodgepodge of things: classes containing tests being either prefixed or
suffixed with "Test"; test living in the same package as the code under
test or tests living in a separate package named test (i.e., "foo", and
"foo.test"). I also noticed that there's some experimentation with
explicitly defined test suites. Do we have strong opinions here? I'm not
looking for a "grand cleanup" patch (at the moment), just guidelines for
incremental improvements.

My preference:
 - test class names prefixed with Test
 - test classes living in the same package as the code under test (this
giving the option of poking around in package-protected bits from test
while keeping the saucy details locked away from the public API)
 - annotation-based suite definition, so that there's no central place for
managing suite membership (and thus avoiding pedestrian merge conflicts)
 - some distinction between unit tests and integration tests, with the
option to run selectively

-n