calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jul...@hydromatic.net>
Subject Re: Calcite supporting DDL
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:21:23 GMT
OK, great. Can you drive this by submitting pull requests.

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 12:54 AM, Xavier Leong <leongxfh@persistent.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Julian for the insight of Calcite path. My colleague just opened JIRA for supporting
DML (705) and DDL (706).

> We can work together to accomplish the common goal, thanks.
>
> +1 for DML support, as it will solve the gaps in statement execute() call differentiating
a DQL preparedStatement vs a DML preparedStatement.

operations over a REST or JDBC interface. We can't expect everything do be done locally, using
Java method calls.

> I expect that projects that use Calcite will define their own DDL. (In fact Drill and
Phoenix already do; see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-1706.) Those projects are very likely to
have their own variations on CREATE TABLE etc. so they will want to extend the parser. What
I did in Phoenix (which was in turn adapted from Drill) is a model that other projects can
follow.

> But the base Calcite project should have CREATE TABLE, DROP TABLE, CREATE SCHEMA, DROP
SCHEMA, CREATE [ OR REPLACE ] VIEW etc. There will be an AST (extending SqlNode) for each
of these commands, and a command-handler. Each project that uses Calcite could extend those
ASTs, but it would be fine if it built its own AST and command-handler.

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 1:11 AM, Xavier Leong <leongxfh@persistent.com> wrote:
>> Dear commiters, as the root schema can be immutable and change during run time, it
is possible to have DDL to change the schema, create tables, view, or alter tables. Like to
know if this part of the roadmap to support DDL, or is it up to the storage layer (adapter)
to handles schema changes via other SPI.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> DISCLAIMER
>> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property
of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read,
retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication