calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.2.0-incubating (release candidate 1)
Date Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:42:22 GMT
Regarding 'half of the world', I believe it is not the last time we are
going to face the issue.

I think it makes more sense to go ahead (release 1.2 as is), and start
using CI to test such issues (e.g. to have CI runs in different time zones).

Regarding 'releasing non-buildable' versions, I do not like that in
general, however I think we never can give 100% guarantee, so it is fine to
discuss/agree on the case by case basis.

For instance, Calcite 1.2 uses identityHashCode as _unique_ identifiers of
statements.
Should I elaborate why that is inherently broken?
Not sure if we should veto 1.2 due to the defect ('calcite executes wrong
sql'), but that is clear example of 'never releasing due to fixes here and
there'.

Well, those kind of 'random' issues can be captured by durability testing.
It would be nice to have a long running test (e.g. a couple of days) to
test against memory leaks/random failures.

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov