calcite-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release apache-calcite-1.2.0-incubating (release candidate 1)
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 04:29:36 GMT
Vladimir,

I think we are in agreement: (1) bugs are not a reason to delay a
release, (2) we need better testing.

Can you please log jira cases for the 2 testing improvements and 1 bug
cited in your message.

By the way I am ready to check in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-507 right after the
release, and will then start thinking about how to achieve
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-579.

Julian

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov
<sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding 'half of the world', I believe it is not the last time we are
> going to face the issue.
>
> I think it makes more sense to go ahead (release 1.2 as is), and start
> using CI to test such issues (e.g. to have CI runs in different time zones).
>
> Regarding 'releasing non-buildable' versions, I do not like that in
> general, however I think we never can give 100% guarantee, so it is fine to
> discuss/agree on the case by case basis.
>
> For instance, Calcite 1.2 uses identityHashCode as _unique_ identifiers of
> statements.
> Should I elaborate why that is inherently broken?
> Not sure if we should veto 1.2 due to the defect ('calcite executes wrong
> sql'), but that is clear example of 'never releasing due to fixes here and
> there'.
>
> Well, those kind of 'random' issues can be captured by durability testing.
> It would be nice to have a long running test (e.g. a couple of days) to
> test against memory leaks/random failures.
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir Sitnikov

Mime
View raw message