calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Avatica] Separating wire message from service implementation
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 04:52:49 GMT
Thanks, Julian! I meant to make one, just hadn't gotten around to it.

Julian Hyde wrote:
> I have logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-839<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-839>
 for this task.

>> On Aug 10, 2015, at 8:27 PM, Josh Elser<josh.elser@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Julian Hyde wrote:
>>> If my understand is correct, this decision is an easy one to make, because whatever
we choose, we still comply with the specification.

>>> Avatica specifies its API at two levels: (1) the Java API (Meta), (2) the JSON
requests/responses going over the wire.

>>> I would accept any transport that complies with both of those levels. In principle
we could write a JSON-over-HTTP-marshalled-via-Jackson transport, specifying the mappings
elsewhere than in the Meta classes, and someone else could use another transport.
>> Assuming by "specifying the mappings elsewhere" you mean "by a means other than POJOs",
yes, I'd agree. I feel like the POJOs are bound to eventually cause troubles across versions
(as it's very easy to accidentally make some change that breaks something you forgot you did
before).

>> Any serialization library isn't foolproof obviously, but they are certainly much
easier to work around than doing it all by hand.