calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Jinfeng Ni <jinfengn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sum of integer overflow
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:54:53 GMT
I think adding a policy in Calcite to derive SUM's return type makes sense,
as SQL standard seems not specify exactly what the return type of SUM
should be. As a result, each system could choose to use different policy in
the implementation.

Oracle seems to use "the same data type as the numeric data type of the
argument" [1], while DB2 uses the policy "The result is a large integer if
the argument values are small integers" [2].

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SQLRF/functions196.htm#i89126
[2]
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/vr101/pdf/en_US/DB2SQLRefVol1-db2s1e1011.pdf