calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 19:05:17 GMT
On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:

> The ORC experiment has a control group: Parquet. Parquet is similar to ORC
> in many respects. It started at around the same time, but outside Apache,
> and later as an incubator project. Today Parquet has achieved more diverse
> adoption, and has a more diverse community, than ORC.

The empirical argument of breadth of community and adoption is a strong
one. The only downstream consumer of Avatica that I'm aware of is Phoenix.
I would like to see at least one other community adopt it. Kylin seems like
a strong candidate. Perhaps a Hive Server 3? Would Drill be interested? Are
there others?

> On Aug 19, 2015, at 3:25 PM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > IMO, Avatica is still too young to be it's own Incubator. I'm thinking of
> > most of the projects I've noticed coming to Incubator in the past, the
> > common thread amongst them is production deployments and a largish (5+
> > people) committer base. I think Avatica is still smaller and younger than
> > is. Calcite isn't harmed by maintaining Avatica, nor is Avatica "held
> back"
> > by Calcite.  We've seen other TLP's spin out projects (ORC from Hive,
> HBase
> > from Hadoop, the recent Yetus from Hadoop). Let's allow Avatica to
> develop
> > (or not) on its own schedule, or until it becomes a in some why burden on
> > Calcite.
> >
> > -n
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I’d like to introduce a meta-discussion into this thread.
> >>
> >> Calcite’s Avatica module[1] is growing into a separate community.
> Calcite
> >> depends upon Avatica but not vice versa. At some point I would like to
> >> consider splitting Avatica out as a separate project (an incubation
> project
> >> and ultimately a TLP). There is no particular urgency to this decision.
> >>
> >> Is now a good time to have that discussion, or is it better to have that
> >> discussion after graduation?
> >>
> >> Julian
> >>
> >> [1] http://calcite.incubator.apache.org/docs/avatica.html

> >> an