calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Python Driver Contribution Idea
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2015 17:09:35 GMT
Ted Dunning wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Dhruv Gohil<yourfrienddhruv@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just my 2cents:
>> I think its into greater good that J/ODBC/Native/REST connectivity
>> features (for SQL operations) are pushed under "Apache Calcite" Project
>> instead of Drill kind of projects.
>> Just like "Apache Phoenix<https://phoenix.apache.org/server.html>" guys
>> started with Query Server<
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-971>
>>
>> Drill can/should use Calcite+Avatica<
>> http://calcite.apache.org/docs/avatica_overview.html>  combination to
>> support native language interfaces.
>> AFAIK ODBC/Native client development is in TODO and seeking contribution
>> effort, so if Wojtek selects to work with Calcite Community on this, All
>> dependent project including DRILL will get the benefit of Python
>> Connectivity.
>>

> Doing the development first in Drill and then porting it back to Calcite if
> (when) Calcite gets the rest interface going seems like a better path to
> success since it gets results sooner.

FWIW, I think I'll have some cycles to start looking into a Python
implementation in Avatica itself "soonish". I haven't really looked into
Drill's current relationship with Calcite, but would be amenable to
having discussions on what a Python API would look like (the ES project
Wojciech linked and Cassandra are two places I plan to look for
inspiration).