calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache-hosted CI (was Re: Build error in master branch)
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:46:50 GMT
Here are the tasks that I see, at varying levels of ambition.

1. Most basic would be to have Jenkins running a build and core tests after each commit, just
so we’re sure the basics work.

2. More advanced than that would be to run the integration tests. Those require a running
VM set up by Vladimir’s vagrant script https://github.com/vlsi/calcite-test-dataset, and
optionally also an Oracle instance. I don’t know whether Apache’s build infrastructure
would allow that. I run those tests on my home Linux server, and I send out emails when I
see regressions.

3. We also need to run tests on a Windows machine. I currently do that manually every few
weeks, and before each release, but there could be a Jenkins instance running Windows.

4. It would be helpful to committers if any pull request automatically triggered a Jenkins
build.

Julian

> On Jan 10, 2016, at 10:10 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are actually a number of options.
>
> 1. We can enable some jobs that will build Calcite on commit via Jenkins (https://builds.apache.org).
>
> 2. We can enable a PreCommit job which should build every Patch/PullRequest that is attached
to JIRA or Github via Apache Yetus (https://yetus.apache.org) and provide some verification
that a contribution, from anyone who provides one, compiles, passes tests, passes checkstyle,
etc.

> Both should be pretty trivial to set up (just going through the last steps of getting
PreCommit w/ Yetus set up for a different project). Speak up for what everyone would find
beneficial.