calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flink kicks off Calcite integration
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:08:48 GMT
Hi everybody,

First of all, thanks Julian for reaching out to us and Jesus for offering
your help.
I am excited that the Flink community is finally starting to add SQL
support for batch data sets and data streams to Flink.
I believe Calcite will serve as an excellent component in our architecture.

As described in the design document, the first step will be to put Flink's
existing Table API on top of Calcite. At the moment, the Table API only
supports a very basic set of relational operators (selection, projection,
equi-inner joins, grouping, some basic aggregation functions). All of that
is very well covered by Calcite and I think we mainly need a few custom
translation rules to generate a physical plan that represents a Flink
DataSet program.

Once this first step is completed, we will start to work towards support
for continuous queries over streaming data.
I expect that we will have some questions when we reach this point.

Looking forward to get this started an thanks again,
Fabian