calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move Avatica to a sub-project?
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:52:54 GMT
My feeling is that Avatica ultimately needs to be a TLP, with its own governance. Calcite is,
in a sense, incubating it until it is ready. My concern is that if we "release the pressure”
we’ll lose the impetus to make it a TLP and get stuck half-way.

That said, Avatica does not have enough activity to be a TLP right now. So let’s start the
separation, so that Avatica will be perceived as more independent.

I think Solr is a good example to follow. It is a sub-project of Lucene but is branded separately;
for instance, it has its own site: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ but the projects share a
dev list. I like the idea of Avatica having its own site, say http://calcite.apache.org/avatica.

We will need to create a new site directory (in Jekyll layout), a new Avatica parent POM,
and a new history.md. However, I am neutral on whether the git repos need to be separated
at this point.

Julian