calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: System Columns
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:59:15 GMT
RelDataType.isNullable() returns true if and only if the type is optional.

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:28 PM, Homer <logsplitter4401@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Julian,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Sorry but I don't seem to see how I make the column optional.  I am looking at RelDataType
and don't see anything that springs out at me.  Am I way off the mark?

> thanks
>
> On 2016-02-22 06:31 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
>> I think if you make the column optional the validator will let you omit it from the
INSERT. (It’s not really optional, but it has a default value, which is similar.)

>> And you’ll need to provide a different value for SqlToRelConverter.defaultValueFactory
so that the column gets populated with the correct expression. See the changes I made to SqlToRelConverter
to fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-505 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-505>.

>>> On Feb 22, 2016, at 5:53 PM, Homer <logsplitter4401@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to add a system column to my table, lets call it rowid for argument
sake and familiarity.

>>> I want to be able to do inserts without specifying rowid as it is added only
on the way out as a system column

>>> So if I do this
>>>
>>> Add a column called rowid to the metadata about table test
>>>
>>> then do:
>>>
>>> INSERT INTO test VALUES(7, 42, 101, 1001, 't', 1.1, 2.2, 'foo', 'real_foo', '2014-12-13
22:23:15', '15:13:14', '1999-09-09', 9, 111.1);

>>> I get this
>>>
>>> org.apache.calcite.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException: Number of INSERT target
columns (15) does not equal number of source items (14)

>>> As it knows I don't have enough columns as I have added rowid to my metadata
about the table.

>>> If I don't add the rowid to the metadata I fail when attempting to do a select
from the table which includes rowid in the projection.