calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: System Columns
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2016 02:31:28 GMT
I think if you make the column optional the validator will let you omit it from the INSERT.
(It’s not really optional, but it has a default value, which is similar.)

And you’ll need to provide a different value for SqlToRelConverter.defaultValueFactory so
that the column gets populated with the correct expression. See the changes I made to SqlToRelConverter
to fix https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-505 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-505>.

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 5:53 PM, Homer <logsplitter4401@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add a system column to my table, lets call it rowid for argument sake
and familiarity.

> I want to be able to do inserts without specifying rowid as it is added only on the way
out as a system column

> So if I do this
>
> Add a column called rowid to the metadata about table test
>
> then do:
>
> INSERT INTO test VALUES(7, 42, 101, 1001, 't', 1.1, 2.2, 'foo', 'real_foo', '2014-12-13
22:23:15', '15:13:14', '1999-09-09', 9, 111.1);

> I get this
>
> org.apache.calcite.sql.validate.SqlValidatorException: Number of INSERT target columns
(15) does not equal number of source items (14)

> As it knows I don't have enough columns as I have added rowid to my metadata about the
table.

> If I don't add the rowid to the metadata I fail when attempting to do a select from the
table which includes rowid in the projection.