calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move Avatica to a sub-project?
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 19:05:48 GMT
Any thoughts on how the layout/versioning should work? We could move
Avatica into a top-level directory and have it separated from the
"calcite" repository. So, to build Avatica, you'd have to `cd avatica &&
mvn <foo>`. The calcite modules would pull from your local repo or the
configured remote repo(s). This would make cross-cutting changes a bit
harder to verify, but it's probably a necessary evil for the eventual
separation.

I don't think a separate Git repo is required now, but those are pretty
cheap as far as INFRA goes (to my understanding) which is why I had
suggested it originally.

When I get a moment, I'll make some uber/epic JIRA issue to track the
stuff to do which we can pile on.

Thanks for your input, Julian and Ted.

Julian Hyde wrote:
> My feeling is that Avatica ultimately needs to be a TLP, with its own governance. Calcite
is, in a sense, incubating it until it is ready. My concern is that if we "release the pressure”
we’ll lose the impetus to make it a TLP and get stuck half-way.

> That said, Avatica does not have enough activity to be a TLP right now. So let’s start
the separation, so that Avatica will be perceived as more independent.

separately; for instance, it has its own site: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ but the projects
share a dev list. I like the idea of Avatica having its own site, say http://calcite.apache.org/avatica.

> We will need to create a new site directory (in Jekyll layout), a new Avatica parent
POM, and a new history.md. However, I am neutral on whether the git repos need to be separated
at this point.