calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jackson inside avatica jar
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 18:20:31 GMT
(being lazy -- sorry) Does Calcite rely on the Jackson coming in from
Avatica now? Or is it purely just there because of the shading?

Julian Hyde wrote:
> Is it reasonable to have a maven profile that uses jackson as “provided”[1] rather
than shading? This would not be the default — the default would be continue to use a shaded
version of jackson (relocated to org.apache.calcite.jackson, as Josh suggests) — but folks
looking to embed calcite/avatica in a container might appreciate a lighter weight option.

> Julian
>
> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6646959/difference-between-maven-scope-compile-and-provided-for-jar-packaging<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6646959/difference-between-maven-scope-compile-and-provided-for-jar-packaging>
>

>> On Feb 26, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Josh Elser<josh.elser@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kai,
>>
>> Avatica includes Jackson for the JSON parser (one of the serialization mechanisms
that Avatica uses). The Avatica client is designed to be a single-artifact to make deployments
for users very simple.

>> That being said, since we're shading in Jackson, we should relocate it to avoid problems
for you downstream in Calcite "proper". Want to open a JIRA issue? Thanks for bringing it
up.

>> - Josh
>>
>> Kai Gülzau wrote:
>>> Hi *,
>>>
>>> what’s the reason for including the whole Jackson jar inside the avatica jar?
>>> We are just using the calcite sql parser and are using a newer version of Jackson
as included in avatica.

>>> As a result we can’t use the newer functionality of Jackson since the included
version is used :-\

>>>  From my point of view it doesn’t make sense to include Jackson (with the normal
package path) when it is also a compile dependency…