calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jackson inside avatica jar
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 22:04:01 GMT
Hah! Go figure, SGTM. Thanks, Julian.

If you don't plan on working on the shading change, Kai, feel free to
assign the JIRA issue to me when you create it. Thanks, again.

the explicit dependency 6 months ago in https://github.com/apache/calcite/commit/cb7c213<https://github.com/apache/calcite/commit/cb7c213>.

> When we further separate Avatica from Calcite maybe we’ll revisit how core gets its
Jackson.

> Julian
>

>> On Feb 26, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Josh Elser<josh.elser@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> (being lazy -- sorry) Does Calcite rely on the Jackson coming in from Avatica now?
Or is it purely just there because of the shading?

>> Julian Hyde wrote:
>>> Is it reasonable to have a maven profile that uses jackson as “provided”[1]
rather than shading? This would not be the default — the default would be continue to use
a shaded version of jackson (relocated to org.apache.calcite.jackson, as Josh suggests) —
but folks looking to embed calcite/avatica in a container might appreciate a lighter weight
option.

>>> Julian
>>>
>>> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6646959/difference-between-maven-scope-compile-and-provided-for-jar-packaging<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6646959/difference-between-maven-scope-compile-and-provided-for-jar-packaging>

that Avatica uses). The Avatica client is designed to be a single-artifact to make deployments
for users very simple.

avoid problems for you downstream in Calcite "proper". Want to open a JIRA issue? Thanks for
bringing it up.

of Jackson as included in avatica.

the normal package path) when it is also a compile dependency…