calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jackson inside avatica jar
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 18:11:50 GMT
Is it reasonable to have a maven profile that uses jackson as “provided”[1] rather than
shading? This would not be the default — the default would be continue to use a shaded version
of jackson (relocated to org.apache.calcite.jackson, as Josh suggests) — but folks looking
to embed calcite/avatica in a container might appreciate a lighter weight option.

Julian

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6646959/difference-between-maven-scope-compile-and-provided-for-jar-packaging
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6646959/difference-between-maven-scope-compile-and-provided-for-jar-packaging>

> On Feb 26, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kai,
>
> Avatica includes Jackson for the JSON parser (one of the serialization mechanisms that
Avatica uses). The Avatica client is designed to be a single-artifact to make deployments
for users very simple.

> That being said, since we're shading in Jackson, we should relocate it to avoid problems
for you downstream in Calcite "proper". Want to open a JIRA issue? Thanks for bringing it
up.

> - Josh
>
> Kai Gülzau wrote:
>> Hi *,
>>
>> what’s the reason for including the whole Jackson jar inside the avatica jar?
>> We are just using the calcite sql parser and are using a newer version of Jackson
as included in avatica.

>> As a result we can’t use the newer functionality of Jackson since the included
version is used :-\

>> From my point of view it doesn’t make sense to include Jackson (with the normal
package path) when it is also a compile dependency…