calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Expression Validation with RelBuilder
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 23:13:17 GMT
Hi,

I am using Calcite's RelBuilder to directly generate Calcite RelNodes from
Flink Table API calls [1].
The translations works very well and was pretty straightforward to
implement, however it looks like the RelBuilder does not thoroughly
validate the generated expressions.
It ensures that field expressions can be resolved, but does for example not
check the types in expressions (for example it accepts a SUBSTRING(String,
String, Float) expression).

I've seen that Calcite usually validates SQL queries before they are
translated to RelNodes in the SQLNode representation. By calling the
RelBuilder, I am bypassing these phases.

I could implement the checks before calling the RelBuilder myself, but it
would be easier if Calcite could validate the RelNodes and their
expressions. Is this somehow possible?

Thanks, Fabian

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/libs/table.html