calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache-hosted CI (was Re: Build error in master branch)
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 20:29:22 GMT
>Is the water in the river safe to drink?

You need a test for that (== CI).
No tests -- no safety.

Frankly speaking, I would rather go though "send PR, wait CI, then use
that commit" route instead of "mvn test in my dev environment, then
commit".

At the end of the day, my git working copy is never clean.

>But I would be inclined to put more burden

Does that mean you want each committer to manually execute the tests
against all the JDK versions times all the DBs times all the operation
systems times all the hemispheres (as in "timezones")?
Do you expect each committer to track code coverage?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is.

I would happily accept some "oops" commits (and even --amend / rebase
ones) as I think committers should spend more time on understanding
the logic behind the commit.
Basic things like checkstyle should be offloaded to the machines.

So instead of taking committers words "I've tested that", I would
rather work on improving CI.
In-dev testing extends test matrix (e.g. our CI might miss OSX),
however I would not consider it as a "primary source of truth"

Vladimir