calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Heads-up: Avatica now "disconnected" from root project
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 21:02:45 GMT
I discovered a problem with the “ln -s” approach, and so abandoned it: since there was
only one Jekyll site, it is not possible to give the Avatica site separate branding (logo,
color scheme, and menu structure).

I now think the best approach is to have a separate Jekyll instance (i.e. you should run “bundle
exec jekyll serve” from avatica/site if you are developing the avatica web site) but have
both deploy to the same calcite/site/target directory. See the updated README[1].

I have created an Avatica logo and color scheme and deployed the results to https://calcite.apache.org/avatica/.
The web site is incomplete, and I’d be the first to admit that the logo & color scheme
are not great, but something’s better than nothing. I don’t think there are any links
from https://calcite.apache.org/ to https://calcite.apache.org/avatica so casual browsers
will not notice the work-in-progress.

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 11:21 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Regarding the build: everything is working to the best of my knowledge.

Great.

> How do you (and others) feel about me throwing together a release candidate for an Avatica
1.7.0? I'm assuming we'll have to work in tandem the first time (first couple of times?) until
we get a good process in place.

I take it you’re volunteering to be release manager? Thanks! It doesn’t seem too early
for a first RC.

Julian

[1] https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/avatica/site/README.md <https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/avatica/site/README.md>