calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting a transaction with avatica and a few other things
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:54:23 GMT
Oh, cool. Didn't realize that was you :). Much appreciated.

I'm not sure I understand your question. A Frame is a collection of rows
(in the context of a SELECT, anyways). In the traditional JDBC sense, a
ResultSet is backed by many Frames.

The common case is the following. Given some batch (frame) size of 100
entries, you would see the following for a query returning 250 entries:

PrepareAndExecute(maxRowCount=100) => Frame[0-100, done=false],
Fetch(offset=100, maxRowCount=100) => Frame[100-200, done=false],
Fetch(offset=200, maxRowCount=100) => Frame[200-250, done=true].

Does that make sense?

F21 wrote:
> Ah, makes sense. Also,should the offset be incremented on a per frame or
> a per row basis? Regarding the offsets being 0, I opened CALCITE-1181,
> so hopefully we can get that sorted.
>
> On 4/04/2016 11:57 PM, Josh Elser wrote:
>> Hrm, I'm not sure off the top of my head how the offset returned by
>> the server operates. If it's not returning the offset for the current
>> "batch" of results, that's an accidental omission (but a client can
>> easily track the offset, which would explain how the omission happened
>> in the first place).
>>
>> F21 wrote:
>>> Hey Josh,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your examples, those are pretty useful. I have one question
>>> about offsets. In your example, you started with an offset of 0 and
>>> added to the offset as you fetched more rows from the server. Does the
>>> first frame from a prepareAndExecute result always have an offset of 0?
>>> From my limited testing, it appears the offsets returned by the server
>>> never increases.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Begin