calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dropping support for Guava versions earlier than 14
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2016 18:26:01 GMT
I'm not keen on shading Guava, because I want to include some of
Guava's classes in Calcite's public API: for example ImmutableList and
Function. Using these classes in APIs makes better APIs. They should
be in the JDK, but sadly they're not, so we use Guava.

Calcite's policy has been to support a wide range of Guava versions
but to drop support for really old versions. We can use features in
newer versions via reflection, as long as we don't introduce a link
dependency (i.e. we call via reflection) and we can provide fallback
for older versions. All of this is identical to our policy for JDKs,
really.

All we need is that our dependencies move off the really old versions
in a timely fashion.

Julian

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Andrew Purtell
<andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Use hbase-shaded-client as Maven dep (1.1 and up)
>
>> On Sep 3, 2016, at 10:12 AM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Does shading of protobuf on the HBase client work (or is that dependent on
>> that brave work Stack is doing)?
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> James - When Stack is finished coprocessors will work with shaded
>>> protobuf. Not yet.

>>> getting
>>> of

>>> andrew.purtell@gmail.com>