calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: String concat operator symbol "+"
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 03:15:45 GMT
I was referring to the “concat” function, e.g.

  select concat(‘hello’, ’there’, ‘world’)

I believe that the previous example is valid on SQL Server 2012 (where concat takes any number
of arguments) but invalid on SQL Server 2008 (where it only takes 2).

Thanks for logging the case. I’ll add further comments there.

Julian

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 8:00 PM, roger shi <rogershijicheng@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the examples.
>

> I tried query "select 1 + 2 + 3;" on calcite, it returns 6. I'm not sure how many arguments
are passed in this case, maybe two args for each plus operator, but string concat operator
should act in the similar way.

> I've created a JIRA to track the issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1924.
>
> ________________________________

should be allowed only in in particular conformance modes. Please log a JIRA case now, and
attach a pull request when you have one.

> Do you expect concat to accept exactly 2 arguments or any number?
>
> Julian
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1897 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1897>
>
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1374 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1374>
> [CALCITE-1374] Support operator "!=" as an alternative to ...<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1374>
> issues.apache.org
> Maryann Xue added a comment - 13/Sep/16 20:05 - edited As I was adding some new tests
and verifying existing tests, I found the following code comment in ...

> [CALCITE-1374] Support operator "!=" as an alternative to ...<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1374>
> issues.apache.org
> Maryann Xue added a comment - 13/Sep/16 20:05 - edited As I was adding some new tests
and verifying existing tests, I found the following code comment in ...

>> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:22 AM, roger shi <rogershijicheng@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I find different DBMS supports different string concat operators, "+", "||", and
concat keyword. Calcite does not support symbol "+" as string concat operator, while some
BI tools depend on it. Is there any plan to support it? If there's a patch to enable the feature,
is it possible to be accepted?