calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Reviewing pull requests
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:33:22 GMT
I was on vacation last week. Before I went on vacation I sent an email to this list[0] asking
the community of committers to stay on top of pull requests. My rationale, not explicitly
stated in the email but hopefully clear to everyone, is that we need to respond to contributors
in a timely fashion, otherwise they will not join the community. “Timely” means a day
or two, maximum.

Since I went on vacation 8 days ago, an existing PR was committed, but 10 PRs have been created[1],
and only one of them received feedback [2]. (Thanks, Jesus, for the commit and the review.)
Several JIRA cases have been logged, also.

I don’t think this is an acceptable amount of feedback to sustain the community.

The Calcite community is successful and growing, but it takes work to keep it going. I’m
tired of being the main person who does that work. Committers and PMC members, you all benefit
from the community. You (rightly) expect that your own PRs are reviewed and committed in a
timely manner. How can I encourage you to take a greater share of the work? Do I need to take
more vacation?

Julian

[0] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/calcite-dev/201708.mbox/%3CFF047CF1-7B7D-4F4B-BB05-764BB7F9E70D%40apache.org%3E
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/calcite-dev/201708.mbox/%3CFF047CF1-7B7D-4F4B-BB05-764BB7F9E70D@apache.org%3E>