calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Edmon Begoli <ebeg...@gmail.com>
Subject A guide to Planner
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2017 00:50:45 GMT
Calcite planner implementer(s):

Could you give me a quick pointer on how to best navigate and study the
planner code, so that I could write a proper documentation as the community
desires, and maybe write an example for a simple custom planner.

Give me, if you can, a quick guide on:

1. where to get started for studying of the code,

2. where are the starting points for actual execution of the planner code

3. are there any "gotchas" to be aware of

4. are there any hidden (auto-generated) codes, not obvious from the source

5. is there any code that is there but not used

I am doing this in response to self-assigned, so that we can put in place a
good description of this important aspect of the Calcite design and the
functionality:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2048