calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Tzolov <ctzo...@pivotal.io>
Subject Apache Zeppelin with Calcite JDBC adapters
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:09:00 GMT
FYI,

you can use the Apache Zeppelin's generic JDBC interpreter to plug a
Calcite based JDBC adapter.

Here are my results of plug-in the Geode-Calcite adapter:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/advanced-apache-geode-data-analytics-zeppelin-over-sqljdbc-tzolov/

Although i've been testing with particular adapter i believe the approach
and the findings would be applicable for any Avatica JDBC adapter too.

The only minor but blocking !!! issue is related to the fact that
Zeppelin's JDBC interpreter tries to 'commit' the jdbc connection if later
is not set as 'auto-commit=true'. But the Avatica connection does NOT
support commits.

At the moment there is no way to switch this behavior off on the Zeppelin
side. The ZEPPELIN-2451 issue and PR hopefully will resolve this.

Unfortunately Avatica doesn't provide properties to set the auto-commit to
true (default is hardcoded to false).

As a temporal solution you can build Zeppelin from my fork (
https://github.com/tzolov/zeppelin/tree/calcite) and play with Zeppelin and
Calcite adapters.

Cheers,
Christian