calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hammond <...@themarkhammond.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2018
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2018 23:25:57 GMT
I'd like to suggest developing a convenient way to compose WHERE constraints on base queries,
via the JSON api.

Having a convenient way to inject rigorous application tenancy constraints would be huge boon
for SaaS style applications.

Calcite, with its JSON driver, could effectively enable any application to safely expose SQL-based
queries, and remove the need for limited-capability domain specific languages.

Calcite can already restrict queries to whitelisted operators, and the optimiser can deftly
handle a bag of tenancy-related constraints.

It would be possible to extend further by clamping query COST, etc.

E.g. this capability has been productised by stripe, https://stripe.com/us/sigma.

Cheers,
Mark.