calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hammond <...@themarkhammond.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2018
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2018 04:01:47 GMT
Thanks Julian for the context. I have no insight on Sigma, unfortunately.

I'm working toward adding such functionality to an Elixir Ecto based platform, and so will
sketch something in due course - just concerned this may not be in time for a GSoC submission.

Cheers,
Mark.

> On 28 Feb 2018, at 08:09, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Mark,
>
> Do you know if Sigma is built using Calcite?
>
> I’m totally in agreement about the power of SQL. You can create access-controlled views
(or inject filters based on tenant id), give your end-users access to that layer, and you
know that your users will get performance without being able to subvert security. It helps
a lot that SQL is mathematically closed. If your users don’t like SQL, layer a non-SQL language
on top of the relational algebra if you like.

> I’d appreciate if you could sketch out the JSON feature set that you think Calcite
needs. We already have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-950 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-950>;
read https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-6035 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-6035>
for a (sobering) overview of what is needed to fully support reading JSON data.

> Julian
>

>> On Feb 27, 2018, at 3:25 PM, Mark Hammond <gpo@themarkhammond.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to suggest developing a convenient way to compose WHERE constraints on base
queries, via the JSON api.

>> Having a convenient way to inject rigorous application tenancy constraints would
be huge boon for SaaS style applications.

>> Calcite, with its JSON driver, could effectively enable any application to safely
expose SQL-based queries, and remove the need for limited-capability domain specific languages.

>> Calcite can already restrict queries to whitelisted operators, and the optimiser
can deftly handle a bag of tenancy-related constraints.