calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Chunhui Shi <c...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2018
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:09:34 GMT
What about "SQL support for JavaScript Object Notation (JSON)"? www.iso.org/standard/67367.html<http://www.iso.org/standard/67367.html>?

There are two categories of JSON functions (8 functions) for query and for constructor, some
clauses like PLAN, etc are introduced in this standard.

I did not see the supports in mainstream DBs(Oracle and Sql Server) covering all of them,
but IS JSON, JSON_QUERY and JSON_VALUE are both implemented

SQL server support
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/json/validate-query-and-change-json-data-with-built-in-functions-sql-server

Oracle:
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ADXDB/json.htm#ADXDB6374

MySQL and Postgres have a lot functions to handle JSON,  besides JSON_OBJECT or one or two
other functions, seems none of its function is standardized.
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/json-function-reference.html

Postgres
<https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/json-function-reference.html>https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-json.html

While I think the scope could be self contained, if it is not suitable for this activity do
we want to put this into Calcite roadmap?

Best,

Chunhui