calcite-dev mailing list archives

From "苑海胜" <h.y...@alibaba-inc.com>
Subject Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Committer duties
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2018 01:41:22 GMT
Agree with Jesus that what we need is not component owners, but comitters who can actively
involve in issue discussion and patch review.
Thanks ~Haisheng Yuan
------------------------------------------------------------------发件人:Jesus Camacho
Rodriguez<jcamacho@apache.org>日 期:2018年03月28日 07:38:23收件人:dev@calcite.apache.org<dev@calcite.apache.org>主 题:Re:
[DISCUSS] Committer dutiesIMO the most important task is to stay on top of the issues and
PRs,
I am not so concerned about the other project management tasks
since it is easier to do them collaboratively.

I think we do not need owners for components, as it will not help the
project in any way. If an owner does not review some PRs, what are
we going to do? Effectively, we cannot force him/her to do it timely,
and at the same time, we do not want to hold commits to the project
till the owner decides to review the PR.

Committers are more familiar with each other's work so we (the
committers) could try to proactively monitor the mailing list for
new issues and help contributors by reviewing or pinging the right
reviewer for each of them. Ultimately, it is our responsibility
as a community to commit those patches and keep the project
moving forward. This means that we may need to step up and
review a certain patch as well as we can, even if we are less
familiar with a certain module.

-Jesús