calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Francis Chuang <francischu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improving the developer experience for releasing
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2018 06:04:21 GMT
I've filed a JIRA and will be updating the HOWTO.

I also encountered an issue when performing a dry run of a release for
avatica
(https://calcite.apache.org/avatica/docs/howto.html#making-a-release-for-calcite-committers)

that I hope someone can answer.

The HOWTO states that we should run a script to update the Dockerfile's
AVATICA_VERSION to include `-SNAPSHOT`, for example `1.12.0-SNAPSHOT`.

The problem was that:
- If I ran the script and then executed the dry run, maven will fail due
to there being a modified file in the repository.
- If I did not run the script, maven will fail, because it expects
AVATICA_VERSION in the docker file to be `1.12.0-SNAPSHOT` and not `1.12.0`.

I think we can update pom.xml to include the following for the maven
release plugin, but would like some confirmation:
     <configuration>
         <checkModificationExcludes>
<checkModificationExclude>docker/src/main/dockerhub/Dockerfile</checkModificationExclude>
         </checkModificationExcludes>
     </configuration>

Francis

On 26/06/2018 10:05 AM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> Thanks for starting off this discussion. I presume you’re mainly thinking of the Avatica
process but all except 4 also apply to Calcite.

> I’ve not personally run into 1, 2 or 3 but I can see how other people might. Feel free
to update HOWTO if that would solve the problem. (Blame me for 2, especially. I introduced
the “X.Y.Z” and “X.Y+1.Z-SNAPSHOT” notation, and it’s not helpful.)

> I don’t have an opinion about 4, because I’m not an expert on Docker and I’d never
heard of WSL.

> Julian
>

>> On Jun 25, 2018, at 4:47 PM, Francis Chuang <francischuang@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to open up some discussion regarding the developer experience for making
releases.

>> The maven configuration shipped with the project already does a lot of heavy lifting
and automation, but I ran into a few issues as a non-Java developer.

>> Here are some of the things I ran into, while releasing Avatica 1.12.
>> 1. GPG signs using a default key (I think this is the first key, if no default is
set). I had multiple keys and my Apache key was not my first key.
>> 2. I was not 100% sure that `-DdevelopmentVersion` should be the version after the
current release.
>> 3. It took a while to work out how to authenticate against Apache's maven repo.
>> 4. I did not have a suitable environment. OpenJDK did not install in WSL correctly,
while Oracle JDK did, but I think all releases should be built using OpenJDK. I ended up spinning
up an OpenJDK container using the maven:alpine docker image and using it to execute the commands
for building.

>> For 1, I think it should be possible to pass in the key to be used in `-Darguments`
(will need to experiment).
>> For 2, I will update the documentation.
>> For 3, I will also update the documentation and reference http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html#dev-env
>> For 4, I would like to propose adding docker-compose.yaml with a bash script that
will automate the different steps for executing the dry run, publishing or the RC and the
final build promotion in a docker image. This would be extremely useful for releases to easily
build and make releases (with safety checks in place) to reduce the time needed to make releases
drastically. This does not replace the current "more manual" method of making releases, but
offers a second option for those who are not primary java developers.