calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Vetoing commits
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2018 17:45:20 GMT
Calcite PMC,

For the first time in this project (to my knowledge) a committer has vetoed the commit of
another committer.

The details of this particular case are here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2438
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2438>

I would like the PMC to answer the following questions: (1) is the veto valid in this case?
(2) when in general is it valid to veto a commit?

Here is the ASF policy document on the matter: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto
<https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto>

I was on the receiving end of this veto, so I am far from dispassionate about this matter.
Therefore I intend to take a back seat in this discussion and I would appreciate if another
PMC member would drive it. I will state for the record my opinion that vetoes are an important
right in the ASF, and that making a veto is not a light matter, nor is a PMC declaring a veto
invalid.

Julian