calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: sql to rule machine learning
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2019 17:49:28 GMT
I agree that if things are SQL-like, then they should be true standard SQL (or a thoughtful
superset of it).

That said, there is also a place for other languages. Ideally (1) those languages map down
to an algebra that can be transformed and optimized, (2) those languages read from or write
to existing SQL constructs such as relations, (3) the language and its implementation are
open source.

BigQueryML is an example of a project that meets goals 1 + 2.

I’m not an expert on machine learning so I can’t really comment on whether SQLFlow has
achieved a good language.

Julian

> On Jun 2, 2019, at 11:40 PM, Yuzhao Chen <yuzhao.cyz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have also noticed this project, this grammar is too faraway from SQL standard. But
the idea is good, like the CEP grammar.