calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew O <ao2596...@gmail.com>
Subject Parsing DB2 sql statements
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2019 11:06:49 GMT
I'm doing a project trying to parse some IBM DB2 sql expressions (to
analyze table / column usages).

To note,
1) these are existing ad-hoc user queries so I can't change their syntax
2)  I don't have a connection / schema for the database,  but my
understanding is that this shouldn't be required by Calcite for this
kind of work.

Currently I'm hitting some parsing issues with queries like

    select Date(x.col1), x.col2 from myTable x

It fails parse at the point of the Date function call. This is trying to
use the function to convert the value of col1 to a date (almost similar to
a cast/convert).

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEPEK_11.0.0/sqlref/src/tpc/db2z_bif_date.html

My current thinking would be that this  may need changes to the parser
grammar (through an extension?). Or perhaps this could be registered as a
custom User Defined Function of some kind (although Date seems like a
reserved word)?

Is this the right thinking,  or is there another approach I could look at?

Thanks in advance

Andrew