calcite-dev mailing list archives

From Muhammad Gelbana <m.gelb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pluggable JDBC types
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 17:39:38 GMT
The only difference I need to achieve while handling both types, is the
returned column type name (ResultSet.getMetaData().getColumnTypeName(int
The returned value is VARCHAR even if the column type is a user defined
type with the alias TEXT.

While getting the column type name using a real PostgreSQL connection for a
TEXT column, is TEXT, not VARCHAR.

Thanks,
Gelbana

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:23 PM Stamatis Zampetakis <zabetak@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am not sure what problem exactly we are trying to solve here (sorry for
> that).
> From what I understood so far the requirement is to introduce a new
> built-in SQL type (i.e., TEXT).
> However, I am still trying to understand why do we need this.
> Are we going to treat TEXT and VARCHAR differently?
>
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:18 PM Muhammad Gelbana <m.gelbana@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Lai, I beleive your analysis is correct.
> >
> > Which brings up another question:
> > Is it ok if we add support for what I'm trying to do here ? I can gladly
> > work on that but I need to know if it will be accepted.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gelbana
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 8:38 AM Lai Zhou <hhlai1990@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > @Muhammad Gelbana,I think you just register an alias-name 'TEXT' for
> the
> > > SqlType  'VARCHAR'.
> > > The parser did the right thing here, see
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/9721283bd0ce46a337f51a3691585cca8003e399/core/src/main/java/org/apache/calcite/sql/validate/SqlValidatorImpl.java#L1566
> > > When the parser encountered a 'text' SqlIdentifier, it would get the
> type
> > > from the rootSchema, the type was SqlTypeName.VARCHAR here , that you
> > > registered before.
> > > If you really need a new sqlType named 'text' rather than an
> alias-name,
> > > guess you need to introduce a new kind of SqlTypeName .
> > >

> > > Muhammad Gelbana <m.gelbana@gmail.com> 于2019年6月3日周一 下午6:54写道:

> is

> > > info);
> > > >

> connection.unwrap(CalciteConnection.class).getRootSchema().unwrap(CalciteSchema.class).add("

> factory.createTypeWithNullability(factory.createJavaType(String.class),
> > > >

> factory.createTypeWithNullability(factory.createSqlType(SqlTypeName.VARCHAR),

> > it's

> m.gelbana@gmail.com>

> > that
but